Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Living in a Church is alot like being at a lock-in 24/7

We now live in a church.

Literally.

We moved to Williamsburg for Andrew's new job as Assistant/Youth Pastor and moved into an apartment inside a church. When I bee-bop down the hall to do laundry and pass the nursery and children's rooms, the thought always hits me that living here is alot like being at a youth group lock-in 24/7. When people ask about "our new place" it's always fun to watch their reaction when we tell them we live in a church, literally. We can either say we live in a 500 square foot apartment or a 10,000 square foot home, but at the end of the day the sanctuary is always beautiful & clean, the kids rooms are lively, the fellowship hall is very inviting, our apartment is somewhat tidy, and then we have the rooms where our stuff is---full of our boxes, tupperware containers...the things we don't want other people to necessarily see.

It makes me think about 1Cor. 6:19 where it says that our bodies are a temple. Is your temple clean and in order, or are you filling it with lots of junk. Can you say at the end of the day that you have filled your temple with the things of God or have you let lots of boxes and junk fill up those spaces that should be clean & ready for God to fill. Have we allowed idols into our life - things we worship more than our God. Daily I have to ask myself these questions, to keep myself in check that I am living a life that glorifies God daily and that I am not allowing things of this temporary world/life to clutter my life.

I didn't mean for the first post here to be so heavy, but when you live in a church, thoughts that this have a way popping up often.

1 comment:

Anna said...

OK, this is TOO COOL...I am totally jealous. You could so have a lock-in, and STILL SLEEP IN YOUR OWN BED!
You can also play the piano in the church and have Holy Spirit sessions WHENEVER YOU WANT..remember that song we made up in Greene Hall?? Oh, and are you referring to me as the anna who inspired your wreath? It is Beautiful!! LOVE it...Love you!! so excited for you..please post pics of the church and do a home tour. pretty please? this is too cool...